Courgette Summer Salad
Courgette, Chilli, Walnut & Mint Salad
With courgette being the star of this meal, it adds a unique twist to the standard summer salad. Combining the refreshing hint of mint with a little chilli and walnuts creates a nutritious, delicate, and refreshing salad that’s wonderfully simple and tasty.
1 kg courgettes, thickly sliced
30 ml olive oil
For the dressing
50 ml olive oil
½ tsp chilli flakes
1 lemon, juice & zest
50 g rocket or mixed leaf
30 g fresh mint, torn into pieces
30g chopped walnuts
- Place the courgettes on a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Place into the oven at 200degrees C and cook for 10-15 minutes until they start to soften and go golden brown.
- Meanwhile place all the dressing ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Remove the courgettes from the oven and while still warm add to the dressing and toss gently to combine.
- Allow to cool and infuse.
- Place the chopped walnuts in a dry pan over a medium heat for 3-4 mins, set aside to cool.
- Place a portion of the rocket or mixed leaves into a serving bowl and top with the courgettes. Finish with torn mint leaves and sprinkle with walnuts to serve.
Courgettes contain a variety of vitamins and minerals and beneficial plant compounds. Cooked courgette is particularly high in Vitamin A. Courgettes are rich in water and fibre (gut health) and low in calories. Walnuts are a super plant source of anti-inflammatory Omega 3 fats and have a higher antioxidant activity than any other common nut. A small study showed eating a walnut rich meal prevented oxidative damage of LDL cholesterol after eating, whereas a refined-fat meal didn’t, making walnuts are a great addition to your shopping list!
Enjoy this heart healthy recipe as a light meal, healthy picnic, or perhaps add it to your summer BBQ’s.